Saturday, February 9, 2013

Strength based leadership can support a community of practice.

Self-reflection, we talk about it, we say we're doing it, but do we know how?  It is important for each of us to truly understand our abilities and talents.  If, as individuals, we understand out strengths we will be able to work with leaders and administrators to create strong, effective, teams.  We can't expect our leaders to understand us if we don't understand ourselves.  By leading through example, I am going to improve the community practice in my school by focusing on my skills and strengths and work with my coworkers to assist them in understanding their strengths.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that self-reflection is a critical part of strength based leadership. Once self-reflection becomes a habit it generates direction for where one can be the most effective with their leadership role. I also agree the as teacher leaders we must lead by example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right when you say that we first need to understand ourselves before we can expect others to understand us, our strengths, needs, etc. I think that if everyone in the school building took the strengths assessment (or one like it), it would open up the lines of communication between coworkers and allow for more effective and efficient collaboration.

    Paul Mahar

    ReplyDelete