Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Education and Personal Goals


The majority of students pursuing education online are striving to obtain their education to meet personal goals.  To successfully complete the program students must feel satisfaction in their learning and feel that it will help them meet their goals.  “A rise in online learning opportunities motivates us to better understand the linkage between systems and eLearner perceived outcomes and satisfaction. Despite wide adoption of eLearning,there remains a high dropout rate. eLearning literature indicates that learner characteristics such as learner satisfaction are critical to the success of eLearning.” (Simmons, pg. 121)  I feel the greatest connection to the courses and instructors that create a connection between my classwork and my long-term goals.  I try to have multiple opportunities for my students to identify their personal, long-term, goals.

I think I can best meet the goal of helping my students understand the long-term reward by continually communicating with them.  “Understand the motivations of individual learners, and target communications to help them improve or sustain motivation to reach their goals. You need especially to motivate learners when they are unsure of how the activities can help them meet their goals.” (Stavredes, pg. 67)  If I am able to connect activities to student goals I will be successful as a classroom teacher.  I would like to have a goal setting session at the beginning of the school year and have a goal review assignment with each activity.  Students can identify a pre, mid, and post aspect of an activity that helps them meet their long-term goals.

References:

Simmons, L. L., & Simmons, C. B. (2012). A Good Fit: Increasing Online Learner Outcomes and Satisfaction. Review Of Business Research, 12(4), 121-128.
 
Stavredes, T. (2011). Effective online teaching: Foundations and strategies for student success. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.

No comments:

Post a Comment