Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Evaluation


I feel that one of my most successful, recent, instructional successes was having students evaluate themselves and evaluate me as an instructor.  I emphasis self and peer evaluation and feedback.  I wanted my students to understand that I practice and encourage critique and feedback.  “Writers and researchers in the fields of human behavior and cognition have suggested that for individuals to be able to hear and to heed criticism it must be couched in positive terms.” (Watrous, para. 1)  Students evaluated their progress over the course of the year.  They rated themselves and justified their rating.  We had one-on-one conferences to discuss their evaluations.  I had them evaluate me as part of the conference.  They identified the best and worst aspects of the class and have me suggestions on making the class more interesting and relevant.  “Pedagogy based on behaviorism focuses on the ability to modify observable behavior to acquire knowledge or skills.” (Stavredes, pg.34)  By practicing my expectations I can modify student behavior and ability to be successful.

References:

Stavredes, T. (2011). Effective online teaching: Foundations and strategies for student success. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.

Watrous, M. (2003). Do we "fire them up"?: Students helping teachers evaluate teaching. Magazine of History, 17(4), 54-54. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/213747250?accountid=35812

No comments:

Post a Comment