Saturday, July 6, 2013

Student Reflection



It is important for instructors to provide students with multiple opportunities to reflect and evaluate their own work.  "Providing strategies for learners to self-evaluate their performance can enhance their critical thinking skills, help them find gaps in skills and knowledge, and develop a plan to fill the gaps." (Stavredes, pg. 162)  Reflection creates relevance for students.  "Reflection is especially useful for getting students to reflect on course concepts enough to apply them to their lives." (Grossman, pg. 15)

I feel that a digital journal or blog is an excellent tool for online learners to reflect and evaluate their educational progress.  I began a blog related to my degree in a class early in my degree program.  Though not required, I have continued to add to my blog and reflect on my development as a teacher leader.  Long after I have completed my degree the blog will be there for me to review how I have grown as an educator.  I feel that it is important learning tool for me to continue to grow as an educator.

Blog:  http://alhteacherleader.blogspot.com/

References:

Grossman, R. (2009). STRUCTURES FOR FACILITATING STUDENT REFLECTION. College Teaching, 57(1), 15-22. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/274682242?accountid=458

Stavredes, T. (2011). Effective online teaching: Foundations and strategies for student success. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.

No comments:

Post a Comment