Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Global Awareness in My Classroom


Global Awareness in My Classroom
The primary activity that I have implemented in my classroom this year is having students collaborate digitally.  In the 1st semester, 6th grade students worked with college students to create Glogs.  All communication was completed through our classroom blog.  The culmination of the activity was a Skype conference.  This was the first time the students had seen or spoken to the each other.  We were able to speak to college students that were originally from Russia and Puerto Rico.
Increasing the Incorporation of Globalization
“Adaption is Essential
In a competitive market economy, it can generally be said that the longer one waits, the more expensive it is to take corrective actions (e.g., as more people do the same thing, demand and prices rise).”  (Aggarwal, pg. 54)
 I want to teach students that they need to be adaptable and flexible.  Technology is changing quickly and frequently.
“Globalization
We humans are wanderers, having started in Africa but now spread to all corners of the world. “ (Aggarwal, pg. 58)
I want to use technology to allow my students to travel and experience things they may not otherwise.  Students can interact with members of cultures from around the world.  I want them to be able to use internet to expand their world.
“Need to Change Mind-Sets
The shape of the world economy is being transformed profoundly and rather rapidly but it is unclear how many companies are truly prepared to thrive in this new and emerging world economy where markets and companies in the recently “emerging markets” are suddenly larger and growing faster than countries and companies from the currently “developed first world.” (Aggarwal, pg. 64)
Students must be open minded and prepared for change.  I want to encourage my students to be accepting.  I hope that they will learn to be open to new people and new ideas.
References:
Aggarwal, R. (2011). Developing a Global Mindset: Integrating Demographics, Sustainability, Technology, and Globalization. Journal Of Teaching In International Business, 22(1), 51-69. doi:10.1080/08975930.2011.585920

No comments:

Post a Comment